Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Checking them off--

Girlpants does her best CrazyAunt Purl-"I yike diz shweader mom!"

Now that my two weeks of four school projects is over, I took a day PARTIALLY off to work on knitting. After turning in a small paper in the AM and doing some reading, I set to work on the baby sweater I have been putting off. So much finishing! All of the bits are knitted separately and sewn on...the pocket flaps, the collar. And it being denim it all had to be washed and dried, and the yarn washed and dried and then untangled as well, and then the whole thing sewn up, buttons......it seemed insurmountable.

Props to myself though, I bit the bullet and did it ALL today, including MAKING THE TAG.

The little things like the embroidery and the tags and the finishing make the difference in a nice handmade thing and a lovely one-of-a-kind-crafting-adventure-gift. But so often they are the toughest part, and prone to fail when you have so little overall craft knowledge like myself. I never took Home Ec, I was taking calculus. Tell me, which one would be more helpful to my life now--knowing how to calculate the volume of a sphere or knowing how to sew on a button? I'm just saying.

BUT this time my tag try was victorious. I made the text on the computer, flipped it, and printed it out on transfer paper (I had done this before with Grandmother's Do Not Wash tag). Then I ironed it onto a small piece of muslin from an old sheet we used as a drop cloth. I then stitched it over and over with jeans thread (from a jeans hemming experience) until I thought no child could ever tear it off. Viola! A custom tag.

This is for my Irish nephew's first birthday. His mom, my SIL is a Gap girl, and I thought that this was BabyGap-like enough to be perfect for him. Plus, in Ireland its always cool enough for a jacket, so he should get good use out of it this summer and the next.

Specs: Solo from Rowan Babies, size 1-2 years
Knit in unknown amount of Elann Denim yarn (Den-im-nit) from the cone. This is the third project I have knitted from this cone and I still have maybe 300-400 yards left.
Metal star buttons from Ben Franklin

5 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Anne Margaret said...

I yike dat shweater, too! Way to go! Would love to try some denim yarn - how do you account for the shrinkage when using it for a non-denim yarn pattern? The tag makes the whole thing so veddy...Suzanne!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Debi said...

Adorable sweater and ingenious procuring of the cool label!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger DustBunniesCanWait said...

Love the sweater!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Whoa! Supercrafty work on the label! What a great sweater!!!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Fantastic sweater! Very impressive! And it would look so cute with those jeans that one of the Mason-Dixon Knitting gals did for Knitty....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home