Monday, January 30, 2006

A Pause Before Ripping

We gather here today to mourn the end of a sweater, nearly before it had begun, before its ends were woven, before it was truly formed. The sweater that we mourn held within it the new year's dreams of a knitter, the resolution to dress not only her friends family and acquaintances in wool, but finally, to dress herself. Her resolution to knit beautiful garments for herself, garments she can truly appreciate and love, has died an early and ugly death with this sweater. So now, before it is ripped and returned to the balls from whence it came, we pause to remember all of the misguided, misknitted, and mistaken projects that have been knitted before.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, wool to the winder.

What was I thinking? I like the pattern (Winter IK 05) and I like the yarn. But the wool is too bulky, the bulk of the wraps right over my stomach (not flat!) It makes me look huge, and though I am not a size two, I am not a size 32W either. As my very diplomatic spouse said, "It does you no favors." I look like the result of a one-night-stand between a hairy gorilla and a Rainbow Flag. NOT what nature intended.

Any idea what to do with the wool? Its a lot of yarn. Some current suggestions are:

1. Scarf for mom. She loves the wool. That's a few yards gone.
2. Another run on the slippers for FaveSpouse--I could give it a try with this held with Cascade or Patons Wool. Or two strands of this. Something.
3. No more ideas.

Anyone in the audience?

6 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger DustBunniesCanWait said...

Is the color wrong for you too? If not, try a coat pattern. Something not fitted that is meant to be a little bulky.

Or you could do some legwarmers {evil grin} I've been seeing lots of patterns for them lately {gag}

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

So sorry you have to rip out your sweater. However, you're wise not so waste such beautiful yarn on something you won't wear.
Might I suggest a hat to go with the scarf? If it's all wool, it would make a fabulous felted bag.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger LMB Knits said...

The felted bag is a great idea. Also, what about another sweater? Perhaps now that you've worked with the yarn and are familiar with it, you could figure out what kind of sweater it would work well for (and of course that would be flatterin on your bod). Good luck!
Lauren

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Bess said...

I wouldn't felt such a beautifuly textured yarn. I'd make a chanel style jacket with it and edge it in black. The neckline in your wrap sweater is way too wide. pull it in closer to your neck and make the front fall straight. It doesn't even have to button. La -it would be tres chic avec le bleu jeans.

I think you have a prize spouse. He deserves a kiss.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to hear that you have to rip that out. How about another cardigan that's not wrap-around? One in basic style (let's say, with a zipper or buttons) will show off the beauty of the yarn. I've been thinking of making this one too. I guess now I should re-think due to all the wrappiness.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Humidifiers Lawrence said...

Thaank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home