Saturday, October 07, 2006

Joy of knits

I have to confess: I have never made a sweater for myself that I really liked. I know, its awful. Criminal.

Socks, no problem. Love every pair of socks that I have made, love every pair of socks other people have made for me.

Scarves, shawls, almost as good. Wear them all the time.

Stuff for the kids--sweaters, vests, ponchos, much of it is worn.

Dishcloths, no problem. Use them all the time.

But an actual sweater? Not yet.

First sweater--the ribby. Liked it, hate the yarn! I used Lamb's Pride Superwash, and I find the fibers POKEY--and I love the gentle scratchiness of wool. But not this one. Plus, its too short.

Second--wrap sweater. Tried it on and frogged immediately. Hairy gorilla.

Third--Summer Tweed green one. Its ok, but I just do not like wearing it. Worn once.

Here is the next one--The Ballet Camisole. I used a Cotton/silk blend (from a now frogged camisole). I am not sure. Its too big! Not a lot, but enough to be loose. It should be tight for this style of clothing. Maybe if I had a shirt to go under it--I only have one woven collared shirt though, and its not a good color with this.


Maybe another loser. Am I really so picky?

The floor is open for suggestions on what to do with this.

But, I continue to be an optimist....



6 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Rock your optimism. The winner shall come.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Do you own a store-bought sweater that you love, that you could design a handknit from?

Being a non-sweater-wearer myself, I'll probably never knit myself one. More power to you and your kind who knit them.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Anne Margaret said...

Self-fitting is an art that has also escaped me. Sewing, kitting - it never quite turns out right. Maybe that is why we have children - to have people in out lives we can successfully clothe. I'm with Mary on her suggestion to measure an existing favorite. I hope to fire up a Sitcom Sweater soon and all measurements are taken from a favorite cardigan. If anyone can conquer this - it's you!!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Krista said...

I am the same way with sweaters/pullovers. I have not been able to knit one I truly liked. I'm giving it up and sticking to kid's things, socks, hats, and the non-size issues items (shawls & scarves). I feel so much better after making that decision! Good luck!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, but what of the Perfect Sweater??

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Julie said...

What does frogging mean? I learned to knit as a little girl (decades ago!) and have just taken it up again.. I'm on scarves... some have been too short, too thin, too weird.. but some are great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home