Sunday, October 01, 2006

Secret Knitting Progress

I have been knitting--though for a week I did not, when we came back from vacation and I had work and school catch-up and kids school and jet lag and.........even I could not knit. Too wiped out! And this is from a knitter who knits EVERY DAY (I think I had missed maybe 2 days in the last 2 years.)

AND THEN on my way home from work two weeks ago I was rear-ended at a stoplight. I think I hit my face on the steering wheel--I was leaning forward to look at the traffic. I have a very sore neck and back, and my face and eye are really bashed up. No broken bones, but my eye was swollen shut for a few days, and I have a big lump over my eye that still hurts. I slept for two days between the medicine and the pain, so I lost a bit more study and knitting time (another 3 days! bad times). I had to take some time off work--I really could not drive. But the swelling went down and my eye was able to open again, and things are better. This is what it looked like last Sunday, about 7 days after the accident:


People keep asking me if Mr. Funny is treating me ok....I know they think I am a battered wife. I certainly look like one! The car survived--the entire back of the car is pushed in and will be in the shop for about a month. Not totaled though, thank goodness.

I have a cool rental (I try to look on the bright side) I call it the MorticiaMommyMobile. It looks a bit like what the Munsters drove, but I love Morticia (she knits! she has pets!) I am not an SUV girl, but for a month this is ok.


On to knitting content! This is the Modular Tomten Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann. It is for Girlpants, though it may not fit her for long (she is a very tall child! but then, handknits stretch.) The original has a hood, and I had knitted a LOVELY hood for it, grafted the middle of it.....and realized I would not have enough yarn to finish the sleeves and i-cord edging. So out came the good (heartbreaking! GirlPants wanted the "hook" too, she likes the hooks.) It needs a zipper; I'll purchase that next week.


Specs:
Pattern: Modular Tomten Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann. I used The Opinionated Knitter for this one, but it also appears in Knitting Without Tears.
Yarn:Nashua Handknits Wooly Stripes, 6 balls 88 yards/ball. I had part of a ball left.
Size: Kid sized! Girlpants is 3, but she is tall. I'd say this is a 3-4 year old size.

I love how this turned out! As we all know Pink and Purple are the official team colors of girls under 8 and my girl is no exeption. She likes it! The pattern is so classic and really works with this self-striping yarn. In some places I tried to make the stripe pattern match--you can see that the fronts are similar, and in places I spit-spliced yarn within color blocks to make the transitions move more smoothly. A success!

More to post soon--some WIPs and a trip to the State Fair to visit my entries. Good times!

10 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger emmy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. The sweater for girlpants is too cute. A great job of matching the stripes!! Can't wait to see more. I am going to the fair on Wednesday. We are taking a group from work. I will pair up with the knitter in the group and we will head to the Arts and Crafts!! I will look for your entries!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Debi said...

OMG Suzanne you poor thing!! As long as your "essentially" ok, I'm releved but oooh that looks bad hunny!

The cardi for girlpants loooks awesome tho...have you thought of buying one more skein for the "hook"...as it's a seperate piece a slightly different dyelot wouldn't look bad and you could use the old yarn for the trim to tie it together!

If there is anything you need hunny, just ask, I'm a great nurse :)

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

OH NO!!!!! I'm so sorry about your accident! Accidents are so scary - I'm glad you're OK. That is certainly one sweet bruise.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that bruise is quite a site. I hope you are feeling better. I know you have been busy but I hope I get to see you soon!

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor thing, that is one impressive bruise! Hope you're feeling yourself soon. The sweater is groovy. Can't wait to see that award winning shawl.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger maryse said...

ouch! i'm sorry about your accident but glad to hear you're ok.

that is a beautifully colorful shiner though.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow! Your poor eye...but the bruise is a nice mix of yellows, green, purples and blues like a nice skein of Noro ;-) Seriously though, the human body is amazing and soon enough your bruise will be gone and you wont even know it was ever there.

I hope you feel better soon and I want to see pics of your Noni bag!

-Monica

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Glad it wasn't worse and you're OK. That bruiser is a beauty,...

And the jacket is very cute! Good job!

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Wow - an entire rainbow around your eye. Lucky you! ;-)

The sweater is gorgeous! Kudos!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Anne Margaret said...

Great eye photo - bummer on the circumstances. Glad you're OK. I'll bet you could enter it an on-line Halloween costume contest. Truth is stranger than fiction, no?

And by the way, the girl team does have auxillary leagues, and the leading color around here is "rainbow sparkles". Times infinity. I'm not touching you. I know you are but what am I.

Happy hearse haulin'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home