Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Pirates of Panera

Doesn't everyone need a skull and crossbones hat for their baby?

Pirates are perfect newborn wear--babies storm into your life and hijack your ship and take all your gold and then (in 18 years if you are lucky) they leave you penniless.......

Not really. But kinda.

I made the We Call Them Pirates hat for Mira's Horatio (he is due in August and his name will actually be Drake after another famous sailing person.) Mira loves boats and sea history, and loves Skull motifs (when I first met her she was finishing Skully from Stitch and Bitch.) So now baby Horatio will have a skull hat to match mom's sweater. Tasty!

The pattern is ingeniously written and includes a lining that you knit after the hat is done (covers up some of the more awkward stranding in my case.) I put a custom label in the hat: Knitzanity is much more fun than "Knitted By That Crazy Knitting Person You Try to Ignore at Parties and Family Gatherings." You know, like shorthand. I made a sheet of them on the computer and plan to sew them into most of the stuff I make now.

I modified the pattern for size by doing only 3 pattern repeats around the hat and up the hat. This also helped to compensate for the larger gauge yarn. This was the first time I tried two-handed stranding and it worked wonderfully! I knitted one color picking with the left hand and one color throwing with the right. Fun! In fact, it was so much fun I stayed up late and knitted the entire hat in less than 48 hours. Good times!

Pattern: We Call Them Pirates (free pattern)
Yarn: Dale Svale (cotton, polymide and silk, good for a summer baby) in Black and White, purchased at Holly Spring. Sirdar Cotton from stash for the lining

4 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Hey Suzanne - GREAT hat! I know Mira and baby will love it!!!!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Anne Margaret said...

Argh! Get a load of them skulls! Nice to see the finished hat - the green lining is just the best touch - besides the label, of course. Great job.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Debi said...

That's too cute and I LOVE your labels!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I'm impressed yet again with your mad knitting skillz. Such a lovely little hat -- glad I got to fondle it in person.

So, do you pick up stitches to knit the lining, or just sew it in later?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home