Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Soul killer vanquished! Details at 11.

FINISHED!

I nearly cropped my head off in this one (do I really look like that? maybe everyone asks that question) but it just seemed too silly, the headless shot. This pose makes me look a bit thicker around the middle....hopefully....when I look in the mirror it seems more flattering.

This is my oldest UFO, now finished, left from last summer. Dad had brought back a 10-pack of Rowan Summer Tweed in this lovely color, and I had been searching for something to do with it. I finally decided on a 3/4 length bottom-up raglan from Ann Budd's fantastic book. Once I got most of the way into it I realized that the yarn or gauge was REALLY off (one of my most common mistakes) or REALLY stretching out (maybe I am in denial) and that the sweater was HUGE! I put it away to marinate for awhile (say, 4 months). I then came up with the wrap idea and knew if would work (I tried it with a DPN) so it was back on.

I had wanted to do an attached i-cord, so I had provisionally cast on for the bottom and the sleeves. I went to The Yarn Lounge and picked out a color for the edging......that was awful. Totally wrong (yes, I did it myself; no bad advice was given.) Even Monica, my source of last honest resort in these things said....it was an awful choice.

Back to the marinade for a few more months.

Then I decided I had to give it one more go. April was finishing month! Back to The Yarn Lounge and this time I chose wisely, a neutral, nubby brown. At Holly Spring I grabbed a lovely Shawl Pin, and the finishing was ready to go. The i-cord turned out to be a good choice, though the picked up stitches are very visible (DESIGN FEATURE!) But how TEDIOUS to knit i-cord......all over the sleeves, all over the back, the sides, the fronts........ugh! I took it to multiple knit nites. Everyone entertained me while I slogged. BUT it is done, blocked and worn. I'll be wearing it to Panera tonight. I did it!

The sweater was pinned too tight in the picture--thus the wrinkle. I have worked out that small kink by (genius!) not pulling the edges so tight.

Specs:
Rowan Summer Tweed, 7 balls (I have 3 left if anyone needs them) plus 1 ball for the i-cord.
Pattern: Bottom up raglan with attached i-cord. Provisional cast on for all edges, then bound off later with contrasting yarn. Ann Budd, total genius.
Duration of knit: Summer '05 to Nearly Summer '06

That's it! April that is finishing month is now finished!

Anyone for a summer tank? I have some lovely purple cotton/silk that needs a pattern...

I lunch with Mary last week where she took the above picture--and this one! a girl sandwich! This is Girlpants with her favorite partner in crime, PurplePrincessNoelle. I babysit for Noelle on Monday and Friday afternoons, but she actually sits for me since she entertains Girlpants the whole time. The two play together peacefully and are very happy together. Girlpants LOVES her PurplePrincess Cousin! This day the two ate all of their food and then played quietly at a nearby table while Mary and I talked about important yarn stuff. It was GREAT! I can take my children out in public! Well, one of them.

12 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Saun said...

The sweater looks great. I love that color. Summer Tweed does have a tendency to stretch out (even if your swatch and gauge) so I'm sure it wasn't anything you were doing wrong.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Ooh - where can I get me one of them things? The PurplePrincessSitter/Playmate, I mean?!?! I'd love to have one. Lucky you!

And I love the sweater too - kudos to you for finishing it.

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sweater - great rescue and I love summer tweed!

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger Debi said...

It may have been a soul killer but it's adorable!! And it looks tres chic on you! Well done :)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger maryse said...

i like the sweater too.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Love the Sweater!! Looks great on you!

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks AWESOME! I can't even remember what color you first chose for the edging...but I'm glad I was able to give you my honest input and I'm glad you used the brown instead.

Great job and the pin is lovely.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Suzanne,

I've been talking with Mary about you and she gave me your blog. It looks great. I have some great pics of Rebecca's kids made last week and would love to send them to you. Couldn't find your email address. Put it in a 'safe little place' that has now escaped my memory. I'll keep looking. You can always call me and tell me what it is. We are in the phone book.

Patsy

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I thought the sweater looked great on you -- I'm sorry if you thought the picture was unflattering. I guess I'll never be professional fashion photographer! But seriously, I love that sweater.

I look forward to the next time we can do lunch! The kids were great and only added to the fun. :-)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, my favorite picture of me is a headless self portrait. Not that you need head cropping in any way, but I sure love the technique.

Congrats on the vanquishing. Don't you just want to mount it on the wall like a deer's head?

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger alltangledup said...

sweater looks gorgeous and the green is very flattering for your colouring. Summer tweed is one of those funny yarns... great to wear but a bit of a demon to work with.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger yarnahoy said...

Beautiful color Suzanne.
Even the button is lovely!
:)
Manasi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home